Monday, 14 January 2013

New Year Detox

First of all, Happy New Year!


 I would like to tell you all about this new detox I have been doing for 2 weeks now. It's not a diet, although it  would essentially help you lose some weight. It's more like the up-keeping of a healthy lifestyle. I am now 17, and I'm far from fat, in fact, I'm on the skinny side of the scale but mostly because I'm 5 ft 1. However, just because you are skinny, doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy. I used to eat junk food all the time. I'm talking a packet of sweets a day, 2 chocolate bars, no fruit and unhealthy meals like burgers and chips. 


 I was feeling quite sluggish and my skin was breaking out a lot. Not to mention the fact I did no exercise and I knew this would eventually catch up with me, so I decided to make a change to my everyday routine. The first week was the hardest, but the second week as been easily bearable so far.

What the detox involved was cutting out all the unhealthy foods I was eating:



  • Crisps
  • Chocolate
  • Soft Drinks
  • Fatty foods
  • Sweets

That's just a rough list, but you get the idea. No ice cream and any unhealthy, or sugary foods. I carried on with the meals my mum would make for dinner and the usual things I would cook. But I had healthy breakfasts. Salads (tuna and sweetcorn, or poached eggs), brown bread sandwiches and vegetable stir fry along with yoghurt and fruit for lunch and no snacking in between. If I did "snack" it would be fruit, or nuts or tea.




Salmon and Cream cheese Bagel

Fruit - Get creative, make fruit salads or smoothies.
Poached Egg Salad























 Of course, the number one item stayed as green tea  

Green tea is a herbal tea and has natural antioxidants and is said to help fight of diseases. It flushes out the toxins in your skin and also said to help with weight loss if replacing coffee in your everyday diet. 
Despite the fact I am detoxing, the sugar I put in my green/black tea, will not effect the detox.


The colour of the tea, doesn't always look green. Sometimes it may have an orange tint.

 Everyday,  I make sure I include at least an 30 minutes - 1 hour of exercise as part of my new daily routine. I go for a run, or dance, or even do aerobics on the wii. But I make sure I sweat during the period of exercise. This way, I know my body is working itself and all the muscles are being involved. (I knew this after the first day of exercise, because my body ached the next day). Be careful not to overwork yourself, you know your limit. Don't push your body to a point it cannot cope with.

 During the first week of my detox, I made sure to include some time for relaxation and I started learning yoga. I found my body becoming more flexible and I felt healthier as a result of exercise. I left time for meditation of my thoughts in a relaxing bubble bath to soothe my muscles and afterwards felt better.

 Of course don't drain your body of sleep. It's important to get at least 8 hours sleep to keep your body refreshed. During this time of rest, the brain focusses on healing and repairing the body, especially the heart and blood vessels. It helps maintain a healthy balance of hormones and is required to give you energy for the next day.



  I am now in my second week of this detox, and I am finding it easier to keep track of and commit to, especially as I feel healthier and more energetic than I did before. If you would like to know anything else, just drop a question in the comment box. I always reply and if you have a blog, I'll probably go to your profile and check it out.


CHALLENGE FOR READERS

I challenge all who read this, to try a detox. It's not one of those stupid diets where you starve yourself at all. But it's a healthier way of living and I guarantee you'll benefit from it. Drop me a comment or message if you decide to do it, or how long you've managed to keep it up for.



4 comments:

  1. I think it's kind of healthy to have such diet, you can't even call it as diet, just a way of changing your normal eating habits a bit, avoiding bad food and so;}
    great post.

    Greta.

    http://throughartrelatedtofashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou lovely! I'll check out your blog xx

      Delete
  2. I've wanted to try a detox for a while, but they've always seemed very strict and probably hard to stick to...however this seems very simple and easy :) thanks, lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey :) yeah they are hard to stick to, and i'll admit i've sadly got out of the routine, but i'm starting it again soon thanks to my friend who cut up fruit and drank milk instead of eating cake with me today :) xx

      and thankyou :D xx

      Delete